About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

It's All About the BENjamins Baby (Steelers)

Before I get started, let's be clear that I LOVE being a woman. I love the make up, the clothes and of course, the men. We're strong, independent, sexy, all that jazz. Sure there's that monthly, leaky disaster but I'll appreciate it the most when I want (and don't want) to have kids.

While I love my womanly splendor, I have wondered what it would be like to be a man. The testosterone, the dingly dangly, - it fascinates me. Not to the point where I want a sex change or anything, but it's enough to make me wanna be a man for a day, or 8. Probably TMI, but hey, we're all friends here right?

I'm only bringing this up because I know there are certain things I can't do - dunk on a regulation NBA basket, hit a homerun outta Yankee Stadium or throw the Super Bowl winning TD pass. While I envision myself one day living in the lap of luxury with champagne wishes and caviar dreams, I wonder if I'll be ever be able to do it big. Like Ben. Ben Roethlisberger signed a monster contract with the Steelers just over a week ago. The specs? 8-years, $102 million contract, $36 million guaranteed.

Roethlisberger is still a young guy at 26, and it's clear that the Steelers don't want him going anywhere during his best years. While it seems like forever ago, Pittsburgh did win Super Bowl XL in '06. Roethlisberger said he wanted to be "like the Dan Marinos, like the John Elways, guys who played with one team their whole career." The Steelers share the same sentiment.

Well, at least until he's 33. Then we'll see if the he's still physically able to play, and if the Steelers would want to sign another contract with the guy. I don't mean to throw salt his game but guy has been messed up quite a bit over the past few seasons, some his own fault others inevitable. There was the appendectomy, several concussions and that horrific motorcycle accident where he broke his jaw and nose, split open his head and lost several teeth due to him being reckless and not wearing a helmet. He recovered really well from that accident after being in critical condition and scaring the bejeesus out of every Steeler's fan and upper management.

I think it's pretty safe to say everyone wants to be rich. For some rich means $60K a year, for others it's $8,50o,000. But when you see monster deals like this one, including ARod's 10 year, $250 million contract, you can't help but wish you could throw a football or swing a bat at the level that these guys can. I mean sure I could start a business or cure cancer, but that shit is mad hard! Athletics aren't the cakewalk that some may think, but people play sports. I wanna PLAY!!

I mean, here I am struggling to pay tuition so I can get this coveted degree when a lot of these guys didn't even finish college! And hey, that's not a knock because I'm not a hater and to each his own. It's like Petey Pablo says in that song, "Shout out to Seagram's Gin, cuz I'm drinkin it and they payin me for it." If the career path you choose is willing to reward you handsomely for your efforts, then by all means, get that guap. For others, income isn't a driving factor. The emotional and intellectual payofff is worth more than any dollar amount.

Kudos to you guys, but I would be a fool to say that. I know myself, and even with the best job in the world I NEED THAT CAKE!! Sure it's not only about the money, but damn if I could make $100 mil!?! Please, you couldn't keep me off the field...

And oh yeah, shout out to Ben Roethlisberger for doing it big willy style. That's monster money. I love it.

No comments: