About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Dreaded Horse Collar

If there's one move I hate in the NFL, it's the horse collar. I can't stand a damn horse collar. Usually when it happens it seems to be the only way to bring a guy down, but it's always a sure fire way to end a guy's career. Priest Holmes had his whole hip and season taken away by that damned horse collar. Every time I see it I fear the worst; hip displacement, knee tear, ankle break. It's the ugliest, move in football. I would say the dirtiest, but the chop block takes the cake. But trust me, the collar is a close ass second.

I'm not the type to get all excited when a player gets fined, but there are some times when you just can't help but rejoice. I peeped this article on ESPN.com, about Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams being suspended for 1 game because of his illegal horse collar on Donovan McNabb during Philly's 10-6 win over the Cowboys. Horse collars usually draw fines, but since this is Williams' third, yes third, horse collar of the season, he's been slapped with a one-game suspension without pay. That one game will cost him $35,000, and I must admit, I'm happy. Williams is known for his horse collars, and really doesn't care who he injures in the process. He broke the legs of WR Terrell Owens and RB Musa Smith (right) in 2005 in this heinous manner. TO also tore ankle ligaments in the takedown. In 2004 Williams' horse collar resulted in a torn knee for Tyrone Calico, who subsequently missed the remainder of the season.

The rule is often referred to as "The Roy Williams Rule" because he's done it so often. Not only that, but Williams has been fined 3 times for the horse collar; $10,000 in October 2006, $12,500 in September 2007, and $15,000 in October. When he was fined in October, the league told him that another collar would result in another fine, or a suspension. I understand that these tackles are spur of the moment, and are really a result of a defender of trying to make a stop. That's clear. Football is a physical sport that for many, results in some form of injury. Tackle a guy any other way you want, but the horse collar is unsafe and that's why it's illegal. It's not out in to inhibit the defense, but to protect the guy who's carrying the ball.

Look at these pics. They really illustrate the reasons why horse collars are so dangerous. A player is usually grabbed from behind,within the area between the shoulder pads and by the back of the jersey, and pulled down. This tackle was banned in 2005 and rightfully so. The dangerous part of this tackle is the awkward manner in which the player is brought down. Donovan McNabb was totally helpless, and his forward momentum is abruptly halted by a vicious pull in the opposite direction. There's usually a twisting or shearing motion involved that results in numerous, catastrophic injuries. It's not as if Donovan has been healthy all season. He just recently returned from ankle and thumb injuries. Not only that, the 9-year veteran has been known for his end-of-the-season injuries, including a broken ankle, a torn knee ligament, and a herniated disc in his back. Back, hip, leg, knee, ankle; take your pick. One of them is bound to pop and go wayward on the collar. You're definitely looking at a sprain, a tear, a dislocation or a break. And Donovan has suffered most of those in his career, and does not need them again.

I've never really been a fan of fines but that was until this season. The NFL has really been cracking down on illegal and late hits, and fining players who violate the rules. There's no excuse for a horse collar these days. I understand wanting to make the stop, but I also recognize risking a player's livelihood and life. It's really not worth it, and anyone who does it deserves to be fined, suspended, or horse collared themselves. Maybe that'll teach em. I actually see a lot more collars in college football, but I rarely see players get injured. I always hold my breath when I see one, and it's only a matter of time before the NCAA makes the horse collar illegal.

No comments: