About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Kenechi Udeze - Jisie Ike!

If you've read my blog before, then you probably know that I'm Nigerian. I was born in Lagos, Nigeria, but I have been in the US since I was about 2. Like people in most other cultures, I love to see other Africans, especially Nigerians, do well. It's no surprise that when I see a Nigerian, in any sport, I make it a personal mission to keep track of them.

KENECHI NDUKA UDEZE is one of them. He was a standout at USC, starting 3 years, including his junior year when the Trojans won the Rose Bowl in 2004. Udeze was picked up by the Minnesota Vikings in the 1st round of the 2004 draft. At 6-3, 281 lbs he's a force to be reckoned with, and he's had a great NFL career thus far. Check his profile if you want all his stats, but this isn't even about that.

News broke last week that 24 year old Udeze has leukemia, cancer of the bone marrow and blood, but it is not yet known which form of the disease he has. I'm not writing this to make it news, I'm writing say my heart goes out to his entire camp. My thoughts and prayers are with Kenechi, his family, friends, teammates and fans.

His former coach, Pete Carroll of USC, expressed his feelings on the sad news. “Kenechi's got a big battle on his hands,” Carroll said. “We've been talking with him, and we will continue to support him and send our good wishes and prayers his way. We know he's going to come through strong and compete against this disease like a warrior, like he always has competed.”

I really do wish him a safe and speedy recovery. Something like this transcends any sport and is all about Kenechi Udeze getting healthy.

IGA ADI NMA

GBAKE NGWA NGWA

OBI SIE GI IKE INULA

JISIE IKE

**Ndigbo gotta stick together**

No comments: