About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

VOLUNTEEERing for that Number 1 Spot!

CONGRATS TO THE TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS!!

If you haven't been watching much college basketball this season then you're kinda like me. I was engrossed, I mean LITERALLY enGROSSed in the NCAAF and NFL. I watched some basketball games here and there, but now that football season is over I have more time to focus. And at the perfect time if you ask me. The schedule has really heated up over the past month or two with the big dance just around the corner. Surprise teams excel atop the leader board, while some big names struggle to stay on the bubble.

Just in case you missed it, Memphis been ranked in the top 3 since the preseason, and #1 since the 11th week of the regular season. The Tigers reeled off 26 straight wins, the only undefeated left, and was looking to head into March Madness without a single loss. Instead, this past Saturday, Memphis suffered their first beating at the hands of then #2 Tennessee Volunteers. With a 25-2 record, Tennessee is now the unanimous #1 in all the polls. This is the first time in the schools history that they have ever held the top spot. Keep in mind the Vols haven't beaten a number one seed since 1969. Yeah folks, this is kind of a big deal.

See, this is why when I tell you guys about something you should just go with me. I wasn't home to watch the game, but I saw it in its ENTIRETY (including commercials - that you can fast forward through like TiVo) on ESPN 360. I know I talk about this a lot, but I know a great thing when I see one! The game will probably be on there for a few more days, so if you haven't seen the game, go...NOW!!


Back to the game! It started off like several other college games I've seen lately with both teams launching, and hitting, threes. I understand that the 3-point line in college is not as deep as in the NBA, but a lot of these college cats throw it up from damn near half-court. Don't sleep on the college trey game! These guys are pretty serious from behind the arc. The game went back and forth in the first half, but Tennessee really turned it on in the 2nd. The final minutes were tight, as you can tell by the final score 66-62 Volunteers.

Sure Memphis fell to Tennessee but it's only 1 loss. They went from #1 to #2, but there are only 4 games left in the season, vs. Tulsa, USM, SMU and UAB. With a 26-1 record, the Tigers can easily finish in second place barring any more losses.

And don't get it twisted, Tennessee is ballin in that number one spot right now, but the Vols still have 4 tough games left including Kentucky, Florida and USC. Actually, tonight they play 18th ranked Vanderbilt who is holding steady at 23-4. And Vandy's a tough place to play! The crowd is crazy and they've beaten the last 3 #1 teams that have come to Nashville. It ain't over yet!!

Let's not completely forget the other basketball team at Tennessee, the Lady Volunteers!! They've been dominant in women's basketball over the past few seasons. The Lady Vols share the same record, 25-2, and are ranked 3rd behind #1 UConn (26-1) and #2 UNC (25-2). They really seem to have a lot of fun there in Tenn. Maybe you guys remember Bruce Pearl, the head coach of the men's team, at a Lady Vols game shirtless and going crazy with the other student fans. The women's head coach Pat Summit also attended a men's game dressed as a cheerleader! Oh, those Volunteers...





I saw Memphis play LIVE back in November here in the City. They came to The Garden and played in the College Hoops Classic, Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. This was erie timing too, because at the same time freshman phenom Derrick Rose was on the cover of the latest ESPN Mag. Chris Douglas-Roberts, Robert Dozier, the whole crew. The Tigers had some key wins against Oklahoma (currently on the bubble @ 18-9) and Connecticut (now #15 @ 21-6) to win the tourney.

1 comment:

Jason Clinkscales said...

Am I the only person who thinks that this college basketball season has been sort of strange?

Even though they are different sports, it seems as if the topsy-turvy college football season was celebrated as a changing of the guard in some ways and despite whining from some of the big boys, has been a credit to the increased popularity of the sport. Yet, this college basketball season sees Drake, Kent State and Butler in the Top 25 and there aren't the glossy "out of nowhere" stories about them (that I've noticed).