About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

KG is BACK!!

The past few NBA weeks have been crazy with all the trades and All-Star Weekend. The All-Stars definitely did their thing, shout out to the EAST on the win, but I'm ready to settle into the second half of the season. As is clear by my numerous posts about Kevin Garnett and his seemingly unstoppable Boston Celtics, I'm a fan.

I relish every opportunity I get to see him in action. There have been a few televised Celtics games in the past few weeks, and while I got to see the rest of the team, KG was MIA. Garnett missed 9 straight games, including the All-Star game, with a strained abdominal muscle. It's weird, you never really notice how much you use your core until your shit doesn't work. Everything from sitting up straight to washin ya ass and of course, playing basketball.

I know I focus a lot on KG, but I'm not blind to the fact that there's a team around him. Everyone, including me, was worried about how the Celts would play without him. Looking back, it seems a bit silly to be that worried. KG's presence definitely affects the defense, but on offense, he's not their biggest threat. He's putting up solid numbers, averaging about 18 ppg, and he pulls down at least 10 boards. I think everyone would agree that KG is the heart and leader of that team, but the Celts proved they don't need him on the court to win a game.

Frankly, I would feel more secure if the Celtics didn't lose another game this season, but I'm not that unrealistic. The Celtics did their thing and were 7-2 while KG was away. Ray Allen has been always been a great player, and has been phenomenal since going to Boston this season. He's still one of the premier shooters in the league, as was proved by his 28 points in 19 minutes during the All-Star game. Paul Pierce, of course, is a has been in Boston for 10 years and is no doubt happy to finally be atop the NBA standings. Rajon Rondo is young, but getting better by the day. The Celtics are known for the Big 3, but their bench isn't too shabby. Tony Allen was a great pickup. Last January he tore 2 knee ligaments after coming down awkwardly after a dunk, and the prognosis was negative! He's made a speedy recovery and is back this season wearing a big ass knee brace, and shooting 44% from behind the arc. Shout out to Brian Scalabrine who started while KG was sidelined. I liked James Posey when he was in Miami and I wasn't so sure why they let him go. Obviously Posey would rather be in Boston right now anyway, seeing as how Shaq is gone, and Miami has yet to hit double digits in wins.

-->KG came back last night in the Celtics 118-124 loss to the Denver Nuggets. Garnett played just 21 minutes, shot 2-7, and finished the game with 4 points, 8 rebounds and 4 turnovers. Yeah, just a tad bit rusty but it's ok! I'm sure he's still feeling the effects of being off the court for almost a month. He'll get stronger over the next few games, and we'll see him back at 100 percent.

YAY YAY!! (Ice Cube Style...lol)

No comments: