About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Victory for Vick - To Keep Roster Bonus

I'm Team Vick. Yeah you read that right. I don't spend my free time fighting dogs, and I don't agree with those who do. I thin it's barbaric, violent and disgusting, but I'm not interested in persecuting those who enjoy it. Mike Vick is almost 3 months into a 23-month sentence, one I find to be excessive, and won't be seen on the outside until 2009. During the entire trial, the news kept getting worse and worse; admitting to killing dogs, testing positive for marijuana, etc. Finally, a bright spot. A multi-million dollar bright spot.

A federal judge ruled Monday that Vick, the former Atlanta Falcons QB, can keep the majority of the nearly $20 million in bonuses he received from the team. No doubt Atlanta's not happy with that. The case the Falcon's were trying to make was that the roster bonus should be considered the same as a performance bonus, thereby allowing them to recoup the money. U.S. District Judge David Doty, who presided over the case, ruled that the logic behind that was flawed. Vick earned the roster bonus once he made the 80-man roster, and is entitled to keep the money. $3.75 million of the $20 mil was actually written into the contract as a signing bonus, which Doty ruled should be returned to the Falcons.

According to his lawyer, Lawrence Woodard, Jr., Vick is pleased with the decision. "He's grateful for some good news, but he realizes he needs to keep doing all the right things to get back to playing football." Really? I'm a bit torn on this one. I would be happy for Vick if he's able to come out of prison, return to the NFL and be the great QB he was a few seasons back. But the truth is, does he even want to go back to the NFL? I understand a lot of the decisions they made, mainly suspended Vick indefinitely, were in the best interest of the league and its image. Vick was under complete public scrutiny, and rightfully so, with everyone from avid hunters to PETA screaming for his head, and the NFL never once came to his rescue. I feel like Vick (FIGURATIVELY!!!) was like Jesus hangin on the cross (AKA the uprights) looking up into the heavens at God (AKA Roger Goodell) screaming 'Why have you forsaken me?!' but the Lord (Goodell) just pretends he doesn't know or hear him. FIGURATIVELY!!!! Maybe a death row/governor's pardon would have been a better anology, but you get it.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement, "It makes no sense that an individual who willfully violates his contract is entitled to be paid tens of millions of dollars even though he is in jail and providing no services whatsoever to his employer." I actually agree with that, but it doesn't mean the NFL can get all pissy and try to undo what they've already done. They're acting like that irrational boyfriend that shows up at your door with an empty box after you guys break up demanding back everything he every gave you; the jewelry, the groceries, even the tampons he relunctantly bought during your "time of need." Look, my ex Malik never got back the Vickie's Secret bra and panty set he got me for my birthday even though he tried HARD, and neither should the NFL.

I'm glad the judge saw it my way. Hold ya head Michael Vick!!

No comments: