About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Monday, August 6, 2007

It Ain't All About The Benjamins, Giants

2 Strahan articles in less than 1 week. Well, here goes! New York Giants DE Michael Strahan has yet to attend a day of training camp and is being fined more than $14 Gs per day he misses. He claimed to be considering retirement, but a lot of people, including myself, feel that he was holding out in order to force the Giants into renegotiating his contract. He's set to earn $8 million over the next two seasons, and he wants more! Well, Strahan is apparently upset that people are calling this a ploy to get more money, instead of what it is, a man who is getting old and is not sure whether or not he wants to play in the NFL any longer. On Sunday, August 5th, he issued this statement to his fans, via email, through his agent, Tony Agnone:

As many of you know, I am contemplating one of the biggest decisions of my football career, whether I should retire or continue playing. Like all athletes, I knew this day would come when I would have to stand before that proverbial fork in the road. But I must admit that it’s not until you’re actually staring at the two diverging paths do you really grasp how impactful and painful this decision can be. I was hoping to make this personal decision quietly and without much hoopla, but given the recent torrent of erroneous media reports and totally inaccurate assumptions, I feel that I have to come forward and publicly set the record straight with those for whom I have toiled the last fourteen years—you fans.

This off season has been one of the best in my professional career. I have worked extremely hard to make sure that I’m in shape and ready to tackle the rigors of another physical season. I am proud to say that at my body feels years younger and ready to compete at the highest level. I love training and preparation, and this off season has made it clear to me that this is one aspect of the game that I will miss tremendously when I decide to one day unstrap the helmet for the last time. I went into this off season with every intention of entering a 15th season with the Giants, the only team I’ve ever played for during my career. But I am human, and despite the images of me grimacing and tackling opposing quarterbacks and running backs, I have to face my mortality like anyone else. When an athlete like myself who does what I do for a living starts having doubts, then it’s time to take a step back and seriously consider my future. Anyone who plays in the NFL with doubts or second guessing is not only putting themselves at risk, but their teammates also. I will never do that.

What 's been most disappointing has been all of this nonsense that I'm holding out for more money. The truth is that football has been very good to me and I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by advisors who have ensured that my family and I will live comfortably for the rest of my life.You deserve to know what's really going on. My agent met with the Giants earlier in the year and discussed many things including my contract.Money is not the reason that I have not reported to training camp and it will not be a factor for my return. This has already been communicated to the Giants and while the reports may indicate a "hard line" taken by the team regarding money , it is not necessary, as this issue had been decided well before July

Despite what some might believe there are those of us who make decisions that have nothing to do with money. Many athletes ask themselves daily if they are emotionally and psychologically at the level where they can compete at the highest level for twenty-four weeks. For them also it isn't about the money, rather a serious athlete asking serious questions about his future. All that I ask, after fourteen seasons,is that you afford me the patience so that I might arrive at my decision on my own terms.

As GM Jerry Reese has said, the Giants are not going to hold a spot for me. I completely understand his stance as football is a business and he must do what is in the best interest of the team. I know that I am only one player. I want to express my thanks to the owners and coaches for their extremely kind words about my career as a Giant to date. I have been proud to wear the Giant uniform thoughout my professional career.You have my word that I will try to make the
correct decision as quickly as possible. If I decide to play, I hope that you will continue to cheer me on like you have for all of these years. If I decide to hang up the cleats, then I will bid you all a tremendous thank you for the privilege to play a game that has blessed me in so many ways and created memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. I humbly thank you for your understanding and being the best fans in the world.

Michael Strahan,
#92

Blah, Blah, muhfuckin BLAH!! Listen Strahan, no one has a problem with you not being sure whether you want to retire. Please, 14 years of pounding people in the NFL will do that to a man. You claim you wanted to make this decision "quietly and without much hoopla" but that's a crock of shit and we all know it. First of all, you play in NEW YORK!! Every move you make is under intense media scrutiny, and after that nasty ass public divorce you had, I know you know that much. Not to mention the magnifying glass that was put over your sex life. Whether it's the hookers or your alleged friendship with Dr. Ian Smith. Now the hoes I believe. But I know Dr. Ian and I don't believe for one minute that you guys are gay lovers, but the media ran with that too! Secondly, if you wanted the media to have accurate information, you should have just given it to us. You didn't even tell your head coach Tom Coughlin what was going on! Come straight out the gate saying you have reservations so you don't leave room for speculation. You don't wait 10 days into a holdout to finally address the media. Knowing that you attempted to restructure your contract to no avail would lead ANYONE to believe that your absence would be related to that. No one can force you to come back, it is truly your decision. We all want you to decide this on your "own terms," but hell, you had the entire offseason to decide. In the email you say you feel better, stronger and younger than you ever have in your NFL career. More power to ya my brotha!! Feel good, feel great! That should be your only goal in this life. But I don't wanna hear that!! You missed most of the second half of last season with that damn foot injury, and the Giants straight disintegrated! The team needs you! You're one of my favorite players on the team and I want to see you come back and play the way you weren't able to last season.

Honestly, if retirement is in your heart, then stop playing. Let last season be your last, and let us remember you as the 7-time Pro-Bowler and tremendous athlete that you are. Don't give people the chance to call you some chump who held out the entire preseason to either A) decide he still wanted to play, or B) figure out that he wanted to retire. I hope you do come back. I love the energy and leadership you bring to the Giants defensive core. I love watching you play, and if you return I "will continue to cheer [you] on like [I] have for all of these years." You'll will go down as one of the best defensive player of this era, and I'm proud to say I got a chance to be a part of history. You're a future hall of famer, and I'm not reaching when I say that. I wish you the best of luck with your decision, and I hope you do what's best for you, and not everyone else. But uhhh, bring ya ass back

P.S. I love how I'm writing this like he's actually gonna read it! Oh, I have hopes and dreams!

No comments: