About Me

My photo
HARLEM, New York, United States
My name is Chi-Chi and I'm a girl from Harlem that LOVES sports. I host and produce my own radio show called "Sports @ The Half" every Monday from 5:00-6:00 pm ET on WHCR 90.3 FM. If you're not in the NY area, listen online at www.whcr.org. For real-time sports updates follow me --> Twitter.com/ChiChi27.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

L.A. Clippers, Injury Prone?

Ok, so there are a few injuries, not necessarily sports related, that scare me. Head and neck, I think, are a given and would scare anyone because those injuries sometimes cause paralysis. But I have always had a fear of knees. Like, I can't lay on a bed facedown with my feet hanging off the end for fear that some mysterious, magical anvil will fall on my feet and hyperextend my knees. I know it's not rational, but I can't help it! My second fear is the Achilles tendon. Ever since that damn movie Pet Cemetary I've been afraid. You know the part when that old man was looking under the bed and that baby came with the scalpel and cut his tendons! Oh the pain!! I can only imagine, and I NEVER want to find out.

I say all this to say that the L.A. Clippers have 2 guys that have suffered each of these injuries. Last Friday, 8.3, Clippers forward Elton Brand RUPTURED his left Achilles tendon. And no, not the Pet Cemetary, killer, undead baby kinda way, but during his daily workout. A pickup game!! To think that you could just be dribbling , and then POP!! Or is it more like rip? Hmm.. He had surgery today to repair the tendon in Delaware, and I'm hoping it goes well. Last season he averaged 20.5 points and 9.3 rebounds last season, and played a major role in helping the Clippers go from the laughing stock of the NBA to a contender. He's 28 years old so he still has some snap-back in him. A typical Achilles injury usually takes a year to heal, but reports are showing that he'll only be sidelined for 6 months, meaning he could actually play in the 2007-2008 season. Now here's the knee. PG Shaun Livingston suffered a freak knee injury in late February, and while Brand's is season-threatening, Livingston's is career-threatening. He disclocated his left knee, and tore 3 of its four ligaments. Pretty much fucked his whole shit up. Listen, if you haven't seen the video, I linked it, and it is not for the squeamish! I've only seen it once and I REFUSE to watch it again. It's one of the freakiest things I have ever seen. And that's not his only knee injury!! He dislocated his right knee in 2004 as a rookie.

Ex-Giants linebacker Lavar Arrington tore his Achilles tendon in Week 7 during the 2006 season. He was subsequently released in February 07, and is currently looking for work. And no, he didn't ask me to do this.

No comments: